Over the course of her career, Robin has represented a variety of developers, banks, individuals, partnerships and corporations in complex commercial and real estate litigation, and local governments in challenging and complex public sector litigation. Recently, as chief trial counsel for the Cuyahoga County Executive, Robin represented County clients in class, collective and individual actions involving lending, development, government contracting and taxes, classified and bargaining employment litigation, public records, and land use litigation including eminent domain and utilities relocation.
Prior to joining the firm, Robin was also a litigation partner at Thompson Hine, LLP, a trial attorney at Kaufman & Cumberland Co., LPA, and an assistant prosecuting attorney at the Stark County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. Before starting her legal career, Robin worked as a TV news writer, producer, reporter and anchor.
- Represented government entities in individual, multi-plaintiff, and class action litigation involving property tax and valuation disputes, government contracting and competitive bidding, disputed property rights in federal and state highway funding projects, telecommunications facilities and utility relocations, and construction and commercial litigation.
- Defended a commercial landlord on a breach of lease and other claims brought by tenant restaurant owner; received defense verdict at jury trial and damages in favor of landlord on counterclaim for breach of lease.
- Defended a developer in breach of option to purchase, promissory estoppel, and fraudulent inducement claims in connection with development property in Lorain, Ohio. Case settled shortly before trial.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of defendant lender and servicer on claim for breach of a loan and security agreement pertaining to a $25 million multiple term loan facility.
- Represented numerous lenders and servicers in defense of counterclaims arising from the Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Consumer Sales Practices Act and other secured lending and liability claims.
- Represented telecommunications’ company for monies owed for consulting services provided in connection with the Federal Communications Commission E-Rate program, which provides affordable telecommunications services to eligible schools and libraries.
- Obtained a cognovit judgment on $5 million construction loan in favor of commercial lender and foreclosure of mortgage, including assignment of rents pertaining to loft apartment property in downtown Cleveland.
- Obtained $4 million judgment on behalf of lender on construction loan after default by the owner/developer and foreclosure of mortgage and assignment of rents pertaining to a commercial property in Ashtabula County, Ohio.
- Defended property owner whose property was appropriated by Railroad for an intermodal facility in Bedford, Ohio. After a week-long trial, jury awarded $3.3 million in compensation for the property taken.
- Represented county port authority agency in eminent domain action to acquire 14 commercial properties for a planned $400 million mixed-use housing, office and retail redevelopment project in Cleveland.
- Represented commercial lessee who asserted rights to compensation in an eminent domain action pertaining to a shopping center in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
- Successfully defended against cognovit judgment and hostile takeover of Georgia based Auto Auction Enterprise.
- Successfully represented a cellular phone company against appeal by property owner of a Board of Zoning Appeals decision to grant a variance to erect a cellular monopole in Youngstown, Ohio.
- Successfully defended village of Bratenahl Board of Zoning Appeals’ decision to grant property owner a side yard variance for lake views in an appeal by an adjoining property owner.
- American Inns of Court, William K. Thomas Inn of Court Member, current
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member, current
- Board of Trustees, 2009-2011
- Executive Council, Young Lawyers Section, 1997-2001
- Cleveland Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association – Life Member
- C-M Law Alumni Association – Member, Board of Trustees, Executive Committee, Treasurer
- Cleveland Civic Leadership Institute – Class of 2011
- Ohio Center for Law Related Activities – Presiding Judge, Mock Trial Competitions, CMBA, Pro Bono
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) – Faculty Member, Pro Bono
- Instructor Mock Trial, Western Reserve Academy – 2012-2016, Pro Bono
- Brecksville Center for the Arts, past President/Chair Board of Trustees
Nominated for Crain’s General and In-House Counsel Awards, Gov’t. Division, 2015
Super Lawyer 2013
Award for Outstanding Service to the Cleveland Metro Bar Assoc., 2011
YWCA Women of Professional Excellence Award, 2008
Burton Award for Legal Achievement in Writing, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate
- Government Contracting and Public Sector Litigation
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 1996, cum laude), co-Editor of the law student newspaper, The Gavel
E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, Ohio University, (B.S., 1983)
- Negotiating the Minefields of Electronic Discovery 10 RICH. J.L. & TECH. 52 (2004), http://jolt.richmond.edu/jolt-archive/v10i5/article52.pdf
- Change Needed on Township Variance Law Ohio Township News, November 1, 2012
- Land Use and Real Estate Litigation Alert: Supreme Court Rules in Florida Zoning Case, June 18, 2010
- Land Use and Real Estate Litigation Alert: Supreme Court Refuses to Consider Florida Zoning Case, January 21, 2010
- Land Use and Real Estate Litigation Alert – U.S. Supreme Court Considers New Eminent Domain Issue: “Judicial Taking” of Private Beach Property, December 4, 2009
- The Controversial and Evolving Issue of Eminent Domain Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, November 2008
- Eminent Domain Heats Up Scrap Magazine, March/April 2006
- Are Cybersmear Suits Worth the Effort? NE Ohio Crain Tech, September 10, 2002
- Meet the Press Cleveland Bar Journal, September 2001
- Employees Cyber Behavior Could Get Employer in Trouble · The Alert, Federal Bar Association, March 1998
- Presenter, Multi-District Litigation and the Battle Against Opioid Abuse, Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA), May 16, 2019
- Presenter, Advanced Legal Issues Affecting Local Governments and Municipalities: The Ultimate Guide, National Business Institute, December 4, 2018
- Presenter, Waking from Dreamland: The Opiate Crisis and Where Ohio Stands in the Fight, Ohio State Bar Association, May 7, 2018
- Presenter, Legal Issues Involving Local Governments, Zoning Concerns, National Business Institute, March 11, 2016
- Presenter, Road and Easement Law from A To Z, National Business Institute, June 2, 2014
- Presenter, E-Discovery: Get Ready to Apply the New Fed. R. Civ. P. Changes – Recent Decisions in E-Discovery that Affect All of Us, National Business Institute, December 7, 2007
- Presenter, Boundary Disputes: Resolving Client Conflicts, National Business Institute, November 1, 2007
- Presenter, Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning, National Business Institute, October 19, 2007
- Presenter, E-Discovery: Get Ready to Apply the New Fed. R. Civ. P. Changes – Recent Decisions in E-Discovery that Affect All of Us, National Business Institute, December 8, 2006