Over the course of his career, Chad has represented a variety of manufacturers, banks and financial services companies, real estate firms, small businesses, trusts and estates, insurance companies, medical providers, local governments, and service companies.Chad has successfully handled many disputes through arbitration, mediation, and interest-based negotiation, and encourages the use of non-litigated dispute resolution when it may be effective. He has a substantial record in the appellate courts, and once extensively mediated a case while it was still pending in the Court of Appeals, ultimately securing the practical result desired by the client.
Chad has represented manufacturers in trade secrets cases, prosecuted copyright infringement claims, represented banks in class action lawsuits and defended real estate developers against business tort claims.
Prior to joining the firm, Chad was an attorney at Thompson Hine’s Dayton, Ohio office and then a partner at Kendo, Alexander, Cooper & Engel LLP.
Chad has extensive experience as a first chair trial lawyer in a wide range of complex civil litigation matters. Chad’s representative experience is highlighted below:
- As lead counsel, favorably resolved case on behalf of manufacturer alleging fraudulent scheme by transportation broker to escalate rates for transportation services.
- As lead counsel, used interest-based negotiation techniques to salvage a business relationship between a service provider and its most important client.
- As lead counsel, successfully tried case defending motor vehicle dealer against alleged violations of consumer sales protections.
- As lead counsel, helped a consumer products company use a structured negotiation plan with a former business partner to avoid litigation.
- As lead counsel, on behalf of major national bank, successfully defeated real property development efforts that would have negatively impacted bank’s ability to peaceably use its own building.
- As lead counsel, successfully mediated trademark dispute in case involving breakup of joint venture.
Professional and Civic Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metro Bar Association
- Mentor Area Chamber of Commerce
- Notre Dame Club of Cleveland
- Ohio Justice & Policy Center
University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 1996)
Wheaton College (B.A., 1992)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit